UTAH ROTARY SMALL CLUB OF THE YEAR … HURRICANE VALLEY ROTARY!
The Rotary Club of Hurricane Valley was selected as RY2020-21 Utah Rotary Small Club of the Year. This Southern Utah club, with a current membership of just 27, is “a little Rotary club which could” … and did, despite the challenges of the past year. Here are just a few of their accomplishments:
- Led the district in “growing Rotary” with a net increase of 8 new members as reported on June 30.
- One of the first five clubs in the district to qualify for the Rotary Citation by completing at least 13 of this year’s 25 goals set by Rotary International.
- Supported an historically thriving Interact Club at Hurricane High School
- Held the 30th annual Hurricane Rotary Easter Car Show – their biggest one yet – with 331 entries, more than 9000 attendees and which raised $40,000.
- Distributed car show funds as grants to non-profit organizations including a Boy Scout troop, Hurricane High School for their mountain biking team and scholarships for seniors and other qualified students; as well as to Hurricane City, Switchpoint to help homeless and others in need; Tans Treats to provide for food-insecure students on weekends; the Hurricane Food Bank and Washington County Search and Rescue.
- Internationally, supported the operation of the Sunshine Home in Haiti, a home for 11 orphan children and a family which takes care of them helped operate it for the last 16 months.
Congratulations to RY2020-21 President Wil DuCrest and the members of Hurricane Valley Rotary Club for an exceptional year of “service above self.”