However, what was also planned in RY2020-21 – but didn’t happen – was a “bigger, better, bolder ‘service above self’ weekend” in support of our neighbors and friends in one or more of 11 tribal communities.
So, on Halloween weekend (October 28-31, 2021) you, your family and friends are invited to join us in Halchita where we will renovate an empty building to create the Halchita Community Center for youth and adults … host a Halloween Trunk or Treat (in a neighborhood parking lot, drivers decorate their trunks for Halloween and when loaded with candy, kids can safely “trick or treat” from car-to-car) … explore some of the most breathtakingly beautiful scenery in all of Utah … and perhaps even enjoy a few surprises!
For the service we will need many strong backs, as well as Rotarians and friends of Rotary with skills / expertise to complete some of the following improvements and upgrades:
- Repair or replace the furnace
- Replace ceiling tiles
- Repair existing playground equipment
- Prepare interior walls and paint the approximately 2500 S/F building
- IT support to set up the computer library
- Electricians to wire ceiling lights and install the kitchen ceiling vent fan
- Plumbers to install toilets and raise the sink in the main bathroom
- Upgrade or install rooftop swamp A/C units
- Weed clearing and updating the baseball field adjacent to the building
- Artists to create a 4’x8’ wooden sign to be installed on the building
- Plan, prepare and serve meals
Other projects are being planned as well, so we will need every willing volunteer, over age 14.
Bring your camper or tent or reserve a motel room in Bluff, Monument Valley or Mexican Hat!
Come, even if it’s just for a day or two … and, please sign up TODAY for this exciting event online at http://halchita.district5420.